- 175 g softened butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the drizzle
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
How to make it
- Grease and line an 8-inch square tray. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the eggs, vanilla essence and lemon zest and juice. Then fold in the flour until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Cook in a moderate oven for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- While the cake is still hot, combine the drizzle ingredients in a bowl, spike the top of the cake all over with a fork, and pour the drizzle icing over the cake so that it seeps into the holes.
- Leave the icing to set, then cut the cake into squares and serve.